Find 12 of the best, most fun, hands-on STEM challenges for kids below! Plus, ideas for encouraging cooperative learning with pairs and teams – whether you are planning for siblings, a co-op, or a class.
If you are new to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) putting together a few, easy STEM challenges is a great place to start.
STEM challenges are open-ended, hands-on activities that help kids develop skills like problem solving, critical thinking, and persistence. These fun projects encourage kids to play, experiment, try, fail, and try again.
If you’re a STEM veteran, you may have visited one or more of these challenges with your kids. Don’t hesitate to bring back your favorites year after year! You’ll see them coming up with more creative solutions and building more complicated structures as they grow and develop their skills.
12 Exciting STEM Challenges
The following dozen STEM challenges are simple to do, and you can recreate them to keep any age group engaged and having fun while learning through play!
1. Build A Giant Catapult from Science Sparks
2. Counting Bears Math Challenge from Schooling a Monkey
3. Growing Strawberries STEM Challenge from The Educator’s Spin On It
4. Bend A Pencil Without Breaking It from KC Edventures
5. Lego Marble Maze from Science Sparks
6. Log Pile House Building Challenge from Inspiration Laboratories
7. Make It Move from Steam Powered Family
8. Marshmallow Constellations from Schooling a Monkey
9. Playdough Math Challenge from The Educator’s Spin On It
10. Simple Egg Drop Challenge from Little Bins for Little Hands
11. Wind Power LEGO Stem Challenge from Steam Powered Family
12. Winter STEM Challenge Activity Cards from Little Bins for Little Hands
Where to go next?
- Hands-on Engineering Activities for Kids
- 12 Screen-Free Technology Projects
- LEGO STEM Activities for Kids