Are your kids completely obsessed with slime science projects? We gathered up 15 slime experiments your kids will love! Find fluffy slime, glitter slime, oozing and bubbling slime with recipes below.
What is slime? A general definition states that it is a sticky substance with textures that are neither solid nor liquid. Technically, slime should ooze between your fingers but not stick to your skin!
A basic slime recipe is generally made by creating a borax and glue chemical reaction but has since become an object with many different ingredients. Floam, fluffy slime, edible slime, magnetic slime, erupting slime, chalkboard slime…there are so many possibilities for endless ooey gooey fun!
The Merits of Slime Science Projects
A growing interest in hands-on STEM education has brought slime science to the forefront in recent years. It’s no longer just a fun, gooey toy. It’s a learning tool for kids from preschool on up!
For younger kids and older kids that are working on fine motor skills, slime is a wonderful tool. Kneading, mixing, pulling, stretching, and digging through slime is engaging, gross fun for kids – and a great way to use their hands and build up strength that they might not have the opportunity for in day-to-day life.
Working with slime is also a sensory experience. Kids who crave sensory input will love experimenting with different slime textures and smells. Making slime recipes is a great way to encourage your child to get hands-on with safe, appropriate materials that stimulate their senses.
Working with slime science projects is a great way to get a WOW reaction from kids young and old. Preschoolers learn that they can mix different materials together to create something new. Older kids can dig deeper and learn about polymer science and apply what they’ve learned to their experiments.
15 Slime Science Projects with Recipes!
The following links lead to a variety of different kinds of slime from gritty to fluffy, glittering, glowing, and bubbling, too. I hope you and your kids have fun experimenting with all of these different slime recipes!
1. Buildable Rock Slime from Left Brain Craft Brain
2. Chalkboard Slime from Little Bins For Little Hands
3. Crystal Clear Glass Slime from Steam Powered Family
4. DIY Floam from Parenting Chaos
5. Edible Starburst Slime from Teach Beside Me
6. Erupting Volcano Slime from Steam Powered Family
7. Fluffy Slime from The Best Idea For Kids
8. Glow in the Dark Slime from Left Brain Craft Brain
9. Heat Sensitive Color Changing Slime from Left Brain Craft Brain
10. Magnetic Slime from Little Bins For Little Hands
11. Mermaid Glitter Slime from The Best Idea For Kids
12. Model Magic Slime from Buggy and Buddy
13. Non Toxic Static Slime from Teach Beside Me
14. Sand Slime from Parenting Chaos
15. Starry Night Sky Slime from The Kindergarten Connection
Where to go next?
- Hands-on Engineering Activities for Kids
- 12 Screen-Free Technology Projects
- LEGO STEM Activities for Kids