This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for details.
31 days of not scary, friendly Halloween books for preschool aged kiddos. If you have a sensitive little one who loves Halloween but doesn’t love the creepy side, these are for you!
31 Friendly Halloween Books for Preschool
1. Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson & Alex Scheffler
A favorite Halloween adventure for preschool kids will love to join a friendly witch and her little cat on their Halloween adventure as they make a little more room on the broom for new friends.
2. Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper
A lovely story about the importance of friends when it matters most.
3. How many seeds in a pumpkin by Margaret McNamara & Brian Karas
Teach your kids how to count through the fun lessons presented in this picture book.
4. The vanishing Pumpkin by Tom Johnston
Your little one will love going on an exciting adventure to find the vanishing pumpkin!
5. Happy Halloween Little Critter by Mercer Mayer
We love Little Critter! Join him and little sis on a Halloween adventure in this sweet lift-the-flap book.
Check out these print-and-go activities for fall!
Click an image to learn more.
6. The Berenstain Bears Happy Halloween by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Three fun Halloween tales will be a real treat for your little ones this October.
7. Pete the cat: Five little pumpkins by James Dean
A sing along book featuring the coolest cat on the block.
8. Have no fear Halloween is here by Tish Rabe and Tom Brannon
That loveable Cat in the Hat is back for a Halloween adventure, a little learning, and lots of fun!
9. Pinkalicious: Pink or treat by Victoria Kann
Pinkalicious turns into the superhero, Pinkagirl, to save Halloween!
10. Ten timid ghosts by Jenniffer O’Connell
Count backwards from ten to one with this friendly Halloween book for beginning readers and counters.
11. From seed to Pumpkin by Wendy Pfeffer
Pumpkins are everywhere in the fall! Learn about how they grow from a tiny seed into a big, orange pumpkin.
12. Pumpkin cat by Anne Mortimer
Follow the journey of cat and mouse as they watch the pumpkins grow throughout the year.
13. Little Boo by Stephen Wunderli
A beautifully illustrated story of a pumpkin seed who tries hard to be scary. But he must be patient. Little seeds grow into big pumpkins in time.
14. The Halloween kid by Rhode Montijo
A masked hero and his steed save Halloween from ruthless toilet paper-tossing mummies and vampires.
15. How big could your pumpkin grow by Wendell Minor
A contest held each year to see how big pumpkins grow reveals some really fun and interesting facts.
16. Splat the cat and pumpkin picking plan by Catherine Hapka
Funny cat, Splat, is determined to buy the biggest pumpkin ever but is faced with the challenge of taking it home.
17. Halloween Hustle by Charlotte Gunnufson
You’ll love this fun, musical rhyming book, but can the skeleton make its way to the Halloween party without breaking apart?
18. Marley and the runway pumpkin by John Grogan
Marley’s family is looking forward for the pumpkin to win the fair but Marley sends the pumpkin on a wild ride on that day!
19. Biscuit visits the Pumpkin patch by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
Join your sweet friend, Biscuit, as he visits the pumpkin patch and finds some special surprises!
20. The Spooky wheels on the bus by Elizabeth Mills
This story is about a haunted Halloween bus that your little one will love singing all about.
21. Berenstain bears, Trick or treat by Jan & Stan Berenstain
Join the Bear family for a Halloween celebration with a few surprises along the way!
22. One, two…Boo! By Kristen L. Depken
Help the little trick-or-treaters find their way through a spooky house with this adorable lift-the-flap book.
23. The itsy Bitsy Pumpkin by Sonali Fry
Sing along with this nursery rhyme just perfect for Halloween.
24. Llama llama trick or treat by Anna Dewdney
We love all the stories of little llama! Follow him and his friends on their Halloween adventure.
25. Spooky Pookie by Sandra Boynton
Silly little Pookie can’t seem to find the right costume for Halloween. Maybe your little one can help.
26. Goodnight goon: A petrifying parody by Michael Rex
Introduce the spooky monsters and aliens with a hilarious take on your favorite bedtime story.
27. Corduroy’s best Halloween ever! by Don Freeman
Corduroy is excited that Halloween is here. There will be a party but what will he wear?
28. Fancy Nancy candy Bonanza by Jane O’Connor
Learn some fancy new words as you find out if there is such a thing as too much candy!
29. How to catch a monster by Adam Wallace
Have a laugh as you watch a young ninja set out to catch the monster that has been bothering him.
30. Its pumpkin day, Mouse! By Laura Numeroff
As Mouse decorates pumpkins in the fall, he realizes that one is missing. Where could it have gone?
31. The little old lady who was not afraid of anything by Linda Williams
Perfect for a read aloud with your little one. What could ever make the little lady who was not afraid of anything become so scared?
More Halloween fun from the Resource Room:
Ashley helps parents who want to homeschool find the resources they need to successfully teach their children. Ashley is a former teacher, current homeschooler, published author, and designer behind Circle Time with Miss Fox printables as well as the creator of this website, The Homeschool Resource Room.
One thought on “Halloween Books for Preschool: 31 Not-so-scary Recommendations”